Car Accidents with Hit-and-Run or Uninsured Drivers in Ohio

Getting into a serious car accident is a scary thing.  Getting into a car accident with an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver can be even scarier.  If you've been hit by a driver in an accident who then fled the scene of the accident, then there are usually two things on most people's mind: (1) getting justice against the hit-and-run driver; (2) getting better yourself in healing from your personal injuries and getting your vehicle fixed from its damages from the accident.

What to do if You Are Injured From a Hit-Skip Accident in Ohio

If you were seriously injured in the accident, then you need to take care of first things first and get proper medical treatment.  Otherwise, you will want to call the police to the scene of the accident and see if there were any witnesses to the accident.

If the accident happened in a city like Columbus, then you are unlikely to get any sort of immediate result in finding the driver that hit you.  Columbus is a large jurisdiction with very busy police officers and so the pace of finding justice in your case may end up being a bit slower than you would like.

What to do About Your Damages

If you were the victim of a hit-and-run accident, then the only thing you can do to try to get compensated for your damages is to contact your own insurance company.  That is at least until the police find the perpetrator, but that could take a while.  You can get quicker relief by contacting your own insurance company.  You either have uninsured motorist coverage or you don't.  If you do have uninsured motorist coverage, then for most insurance companies that would cover you for hit-and-run accidents.  Uninsured motorist coverage usually covers you for the same amount that you have liability insurance for (standard coverage is $100,000/$300,000).  The means that your own insurance company will pay for damages to your vehicle (minus the deductible).

Does Uninsured Motorist Coverage Cover Me For My Personal Injuries in Ohio?

Yes.  Uninsured motorist coverage is there so that if you get in an accident with a hit-skip driver then you can still recover for your injuries the same as if you had the at-fault drivers insurance information.  The only problem is that uninsured motorist coverage is an optional add-on that you pay extra for, so not everyone has it.

Do I Need an Attorney to Get My Bills Paid Through Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

If you want the best results, then you will need an attorney.  Attorney Evan T. Engler is a personal injury attorney and partner at the Columbus, Ohio based law firm of Harris & Engler, and he has vast experience in helping victims of hit-and-run accidents obtain maximum recovery for their injuries.  If you've been a victim of a hit-and-run accident in the Columbus area or elsewhere in Ohio and you have uninsured motorist coverage, then your insurance company has the same obligation to pay you that the at-fault driver would have if they didn't flee the scene.  Only an experienced personal injury attorney like Evan T Engler can make sure that all of your ducks are in a row to make sure that the insurance company pays out every penny that you deserve.  You can call Evan T. Engler today for a free consultation at (614) 610-9988.

Columbus Personal Injury Attorney

Disclaimer:  Harris & Engler offers this website and the content on it for informational purposes only, as a service for our clients and friends.  The contents of this site are not considered legal advice for any purpose, and you should not consider them as such advice or as legal opinion on any matters. 

With Offices Located at: 30 Northwoods Blvd., Suite 350, Columbus, Ohio 43235

Phone: (614) 610-9988  Email: